24 January 2021

Limericks

A limerick is a short poem, usually humorous in content, consisting of just five lines and which follows the formula AABBA. (Lines B have fewer syllables than lines A.)


They were popularized by the English poet Edward Lear, who wrote a whole bunch of them in the 1800s. This is a typical limerick (not by him, though):


There was an old sailor from Lyme

Who married three wives at one time

When asked “Why the third?”

He replied “One’s absurd,

And bigamy, sir, is a crime.”


Anyway, here are a few I came up with:


Custard donuts are shaped like a ball

If you're down they're good for the soul

A sweet little thing

Can be shaped like a ring

I have tried but you can't eat the hole


In a previous life I must've been bad

My employment is boring and sad

It feels like a curse

But it could've been worse

That I'm not an accountant I'm glad


My motto in life is quite plain

Just be kind and try using you brain

But whatever you do

Don't sniff too much glue 

And don't wear any kind of gold chain


What I’d do to a cute Asian nurse

I can’t tell you, it’s rather perverse

What’s under that shirt

I love more than dessert

I know I’m a perv, it’s a curse


Chinese, Korean or Thai

When I see them my spirit flies high

The black, silky hair

I try not to stare

They’re so pretty I just want to cry